Sunday 26 November 2017

Mask 3D Modelling Process

So as a continuation of last week's paper model I have started to mock it up in Rhino!  I am getting a lot faster with problem solving, and am a lot more comfortable with building shapes precisely in rhino!  I started off with the overall mask shape that I would cut out.  So I measured the width of the curve and the length of the mask and used the Ellipse Diameter tool to build the circle off it. I proceeded to cut off the unnecessary half.




I measured the height of the mask and then extruded the curve to that height, capping the surface afterwards.



The top of the mask has a sort of overarching cover which has 3 main folded points.  I measured those and drew out lines from them.  



 I struggled a bit in connecting the angled outer lines to the main base since it didn't fall on a definitive point so I ended up making longer lines to go through and then marked the interception point in the Osnap channel and moved the correctly sized line to that point.



Then it was time to start the nose!  I measured out key points, such as the top and bottom of the opening and the sides, and marked them with correctly sized lines.  The circle was created for the bottom of the nose.



I set up a bit of an interlocking system here to properly build a symmetrical curve in the middle.

 

There was a bit of an angle to the longer shaft of the nose which I measured out here.




After this I created the cutoff of the mask underneath!  The line at the bottom is an approximation of where the mask ends.  This was a little harder to measure because the decorative spikes are to either side of the middle and angled.  It ended up being a little off which unfortunately required me to rethink some things.





The eye was rather simple, I had to mark some spots with other lines to properly use the curve interpolate point tool properly with the least actual points.  



Finally getting to work on the jutting out "nose" was the next thing I tackled.  I had to figure out how to create an angled shape that was equal on other side.  I got the length of each side and then copied it.  I then used rotate and created the line of rotation for each and ended up with with a result i was happy with.  I had to change the rotation percentage to 50% to properly align it.  






I took a picture of the two different cheek components! This part after figuring out the first parts was probably the easiest part.    I would take a photo, then measure a solid point of reference.  After which I would measure out a line in Rhino and then reposition the photo to match to which I would trace the rest of the shape out.










Overall I'd say it was a success! I extruded some shapes to later be taken out from the main shape.  This was mostly about building the core shapes to later use to make the final rendition of the mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unconventional Eye wear Rhino: not yet satisfied

  So building up this eye-wear was very challenging but I also learned a great deal about Rhino through it!  With so many points it was eas...