Monday 4 December 2017

Unconventional Eye wear Rhino: not yet satisfied

  So building up this eye-wear was very challenging but I also learned a great deal about Rhino through it!  With so many points it was easy for the points to accidentally lock on the wrong one or to mess with the geometry in very minor ways.  This took a lot of minor tweaks and fixes.  I used offset to build up the thickness around where the eyes would be and then  I built out a nose.  I wasn't sure how to tackled the smooth angles but I then I used patch with adjust tangency off.  



I build up  some thickness in the nose for a more realistic cut.


 I started building up the cheek blocks.  It took some playing around to finally build the shape to cut out the rounded edges! I built up a shape, made it flat and then extruded it.  After which I build a shape around the outside to reverse the cut. 




Thanks to Valerie's help I used flow to wrap the lines around the shape of the rounded mesh I had built up earlier!  I applied the features on accordingly and built from there.


I finished the shape underneath and used Boolean difference to remove the bottom portion.  I struggled closing all the gaps after this portion and relied heavily on Patch.



I then raised the points for the top of the mask and built that up! using extrude to build some thickness.  I once again played with the percentage of rotation and locations of the lines.



 At this point I was experimenting with the cheeks.  None of the options really gave me a satisfactory solution however... so I opted to remove it entirely.



I quickly measured out the length to my ears and added it on the sides so it would be capable of remaining on the face.



I imported my 3D model of myself to put the eyeglasses on!




And this was the finishing point, well for now.  Because the glasses parts would be 3D printed separately with a dark matte paint to prevent incoming sunlight they were going to be the same material. I was going to render this, however I decided to not count this as completely finished because there was still some things that bothered me about it and I realized that I would not feel right calling this project done.  The development of this eye wear was pretty precise and took me a great deal longer than I originally thought it would.  Nonetheless I do wish to still implement the additional cheeks in the mask and fix some aesthetic issues I have with it.  I also would like to consider more options for material.  I am determined to fix things to be perfect for my own satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unconventional Eye wear Rhino: not yet satisfied

  So building up this eye-wear was very challenging but I also learned a great deal about Rhino through it!  With so many points it was eas...