Sunday 19 November 2017

Unconventional Eye-wear: Card-Stock Mock-up

So the next step of creating the Sunblocker 5000 was modelling it out of paper to get proper measurements and have a functioning model! I originally started with precise measurements of my face but then later, when I printed out my "blueprints" I found them quite accurate to the sizes I was measuring anyways.  So quite by chance and luck I could do a lot of my work based on that.  I used a mannequin head for reference, but more of the measurements and fittings are based on my own head. 

 



















Attaching the top rim was an interesting process of rounding, but it was only after I taped this together quickly that I realized that the shape of the head was way off.  This was my first mock-up, just to get the most basic layout down so I had time to fix it before my final one with card-stock.



 I rounded out the shape and cut it out of paper.  Here is the cut shape on the mannequin head to show the improvement.

I began to trace the rough shapes onto the card-stock and cut them out.  I used the curve mixed with the protrusion of the original design to make a more accurate visor and put it together.



I then decided to add and take away from this to create the final rendition! The ears of this fit better on my own head than the mannequin's.  The nose took some thinking because I wanted it to fit with the visor but I wasn't sure if I could make it work with just two pieces or if I'd need a separate part for the bridge of the nose.  I managed to just make two parts but later if it works better I might add in the bridge. Overall I'm really happy with how this came out!  I lucked out with a lot of my process and it came together quite well.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Unconventional Eye wear Rhino: not yet satisfied

  So building up this eye-wear was very challenging but I also learned a great deal about Rhino through it!  With so many points it was eas...